Enquiries : 01767 641499

Harpers Nursery & Forest School Blunham

Facebook circle blue large

Help with childcare costs - Do you qualify for extra tax credits?


If you work, you could get extra tax credits to help with your childcare costs. You can claim as soon as you start paying for childcare, and only for the amounts that are actually paid by you.


You're a lone parent - You must work 16 hours or more a week to claim help with childcare costs.


You're part of a couple - Generally you and your partner must both work 16 hours or more a week to claim help. Only one of you has to work 16 hours or more if the other is:


• ill or disabled and claiming disability benefits

• in hospital

• in prison - serving a custodial sentence or remanded in custody awaiting trial or sentence

• entitled to Carer's Allowance - even if they don't get any payments because they receive other     benefits instead.


How much help you can get? -You can get help with up to 70 per cent of your childcare costs - up to certain limits.


If you pay childcare for:


• one child, the maximum childcare cost you can claim is £175 a week

• two or more children, the maximum cost you can claim is £300 a week


This means that the maximum help you can get for your childcare is:


• £122.50 a week for one child

• £210 a week for two or more children


But you won't necessarily get the full £122.50 or £210 a week - the actual amount you get will depend on your income. The lower your income, the more tax credits you can get.

Tax Credits

Tax Credits